About ECU( East Carolina University )
East Carolina Institute, often termed in its short form as ECU, is an American public, doctoral/research university situated in Greenville of North Carolina. It is the largest university in the North Carolina state. The university is designated as a Sea Grant university and an Innovation and Economic Prosperity campus under the Association of Public and Land Grant Universities.
The university was found on March 8th in the year 1907 as a teacher training school in a 43 acre (17 ha) land from where it has grown to become a 16000 acres (647 ha) university. There are a total of six academic facilities on the grounds of university, namely:
- Main Campus
- Health Sciences Campus
- West Research Campus
- The Field Station for Coastal Studies in New Holland, North Carolina
- The Millennial Research Innovation Campus in Greenville’s warehouse district, and
- An overseas campus in Certaldo Alto, Italy
ECU also operates the Coastal Studies Institute.
These six properties are home to nine undergraduate colleges, a graduate school, and four professional schools. The main campus houses all the non-health sciences majors. The health science campus holds within it, The College of Nursing, College of Allied Health Sciences, The Brody School of Medicine, and School of Dental Medicine. The university also has numerous sororities, as follows:
- Eleven social sororities
- Sixteen social fraternities
- Four historically black sororities
- Five historically black fraternities
- One Native American fraternity, and
- One Native American sorority
Alongside, there are 300 registered clubs on campus which include fraternities and sororities.
ECU’s Blackboard is a Learning Management System. In its full form, it is referred to as Learning Management System. It is a comprehensive multi-purpose technology aimed at helping teachers/instructors and students through a learning path focusing on fundamental and learning objectives. It helps them to teach and learn – community building, content management and sharing.
The Blackboard is also called as course management system. It promotes opportunities and insight to leverage new tools in order to reach all learners in both organized and unorganized setting. The Blackboard also comprises of Modules. The naming and corresponding functioning are as follows:
- Ally – Blackboard Ally runs all course material through an accessibility checklist that checks for common accessibility issues, automatically.
- Analytics – Blackboard Analytics accommodates Integral Reports, real-time information about student engagement and performance. It avails Integrated Reports to the Instructor of Record (IOR) at the course level and are not provided for evaluation purposes. IOR can access four reports and another report is at the disposal for students. Basing on the course design, the quantity of information made available will differ significantly.
- EAC Visual Data – Blackboard’s outcome assessment tool provides detailed test and item reliability statistics to better the exam quality and questions, along with the rubrics. The tool is named as EAC. The tool additionally assists in examining student performance on learning outcomes across course over time.
- McGraw Hill Connect – The function of this Module is to avail digital teaching and learning environment which will save time for students and instructors alike on the lines of improved performance over a variety of critical outcomes.
- Outcomes – This is an assessment module aimed at extracting direct evidence of student learning from Blackboard Learn courses. By gathering the student-submitted assignments from existing courses and facilitating a rubric-based secondary evaluation of them, the institutions can exhibit achievement of leaning outcomes.
- Portfolios – Portfolios offer a means to demonstrate formative and/or summative progress and achievement. Portfolio authors are empowered with tools to effectively present their information in a cohesive, personalized format.
- Retention Center – It is only for instructors and optional too. It helps identify students at risk.
- Starfish – Starfish is an early-alert retention tool that works through Blackboard to support student academic success at ECU.
- Qwickly – Qwickly Plus is developed to ensure efficient communication with members of multiple courses while simplifying tasks that are redundant in each course of an instructor.
Bb is committed to a usable and accessible platform. To learn more at Blackboard’s Commitment to Accessibility page and specific information on accessibility features, workarounds and remaining issues, please access these resources:
Screen Reader Tutorial – Release 9.1
Accessibility in Bb Learn Release 9.1
Additional accessibility information and resources
ECU Blackboard Login:
The console for ECU Blackboard looks as provided in the image below. All staff of ECU automatically have an account created for them. The staff can access Blackboard by navigating to the Staff Portal and then clicking on the Blackboard application link in the “Easy Logins” menu on the left. Blackboard Unit sites are not automatically created.
Ecu email (webmail, mail)
Faculty and Staff:
An employee’s Exchange account includes email, calendar, contacts, tasks and more. This information is maintained on the server for 24/7 access, on or off campus. To access the inbox through a browser, users can log in to piratemail.ecu.edu.
Check out the changes at www.ecu.edu/itcs/email/refresh.cfm
Over the next few months, ECU is modernizing staff email with user-friendly archive, encryption and data loss prevention (DLP) tools plus improved spam and malware protection to accommodate security policies and prepare for a future move to Office 365.
This is Students’ official ECU email where instructors and ECU send important communications. Log in at mymail.ecu.edu.
Multi-factor Authentication (MFA) is now being activated for student email. See the MFA page for details.
ECU email login
Once PirateID is available to the student, they should follow these steps to activate account, create a passphrase and set up MFA. Steps are as follows:
- Activate your PirateID and create a secure passphrase. https://pirateid.ecu.edu/
- Log in to your Office 365 account using your PirateID and passphrase. mymail.ecu.edu
- Click the Set it up now button to configure Multi-Factor Authentication. Configure MFA.
From the toolbar:
The waffle icon shows all Office 365 apps.
The Settings (gear) icon leads to software downloads.
East Carolina University Contact Information:
Anyone interested in reaching out to ECU may contact directly at the following address:
E 5th St, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
The interested party may contact them on phone at this 252.328.6131 number which will be directed to campus operator.